There are different styles of parenting namely authoritarian, permissive, neglectful and authoritative and there are significant differences between all these styles. However, there is one style better than the other three in its own way. In order to get a clear understanding of the best parenting style, it is necessary that all the different styles are reviewed thoroughly. Here, we will be having a detailed look into neglectful parenting.
What is Neglectful Parenting?
Neglectful Parenting is also known as uninvolved parenting and this style can be best described as a self-explanatory style of parenting. Under this style one or both the parents do not put much stress or control on a child’s behavior and they also do not provide any positive responses like admiration and love. Neglectful parents can have behavioral or health problems like substance abuse, depression and other problems. Neglectful style of parenting is generally a learned behavior. Neglectful parents might offer shelter and food to their children but they are emotionally uninvolved with the life of their children. These are parents who never ask their children questions regarding their education, friends and day. Neglected children might have serious problems that the neglectful parents might not be aware of. Neglected children grow up feeling resentment against their parents.
Major Characteristics of Neglectful Parenting Style
Uninvolved or neglectful parents:
• Do not offer any supervision to their child and if they at all offer supervision, it is very limited.
• Are distant from their child emotionally
• Show very little love, affection and warmth towards their child
• Do not attend parent-teacher conferences and school events.
• Have very few or no demands or expectations for behavior
• Might avoid their child emotionally
• Are overwhelmed most of the times by their own issues
Effects of Neglectful Parenting on Children
The kids who are brought up by neglectful parents:
• Fear depending on other people completely
• Should learn the skills of providing for themselves
• Are emotionally withdrawn
• Exhibit criminal behavior during adolescence
• Have increased chances if substance abuse
• Feel anxiety, stress and fear because of lack of support from family.
Understanding Uninvolved or Neglectful Parenting
Since fathers take up the responsibility of earning the bread for the entire family, they do not tend to be more interested in spending time with their children making way for neglectful parenting. Boys who are neglected by their parents do not tend to be strong in dealing with different situations differently. Such men constantly look for approval from others and they cannot take decisions themselves. On the other hand, girls who are neglected by their parents become very weak emotionally and they fail in their future relationships.
Parents need to decide on their own whether they would like to be good parents or bad parents by making the use of neglectful parenting.Neglectful Parenting